1.1

This is a review on their customer service and charging practices, not their software as I have no knowledge of the software or how good or bad it works.

BUYER BEWARE!!

Smilebox's policy on subscriptions and customer service ranks as a "Buyer Beware" and "purchase at your own risk" in my opinion. They are no Zappos or Amazon, that's for certain and rank at the very bottom of customer service with websites that focus on generating revenues first and foremost and customers second. They have a ton of documented consumer complaints including over 270 on the BBB.org website alone. I will share later in my review more links to a lot of complaints but here is a teaser from the BBB (link is at the end of my review):

"BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding billing and customer service issues. Consumers allege Smilebox Inc makes unauthorized credit card charges after consumers have cancelled their accounts. Consumers claim after signing up for a free trial account, their account is not automatically cancelled when the trial expires; the company continues to charge a monthly fee of $5.99 for membership or subscription. Consumers further allege Smilebox Inc is unresponsive to requests for assistance."

MY REVIEW:

In May of 2015, I must have purchased a one year free trial subscription with a credit card. I don't know and I don't remember and in fact, I never used it or tried it according to my on-line account. In May of 2016, I received an e-mail that my credit card had been charged for like $47!

The first thing that makes them "shady" in my opinion (yes, there is more than one thing that makes the business owners appear unethical) is that unlike legitimate websites, they did not send an e-mail a few days or a week prior to billing me to warn me that my free trial was almost over and my credit card would be billed. One day, I received an e-mail that my credit card was charged. BAM! Surprise!

The second thing that makes them "shady" is that when I went into my account (for probably the first time ever), I went to cancel the subscription. They canceled it but sent me this note in an e-mail: "You can continue to use Club Smilebox until your remaining membership expires." How flippin' NICE! Gee thanks...why would anyone cancel something and be happy to continue using it for a whole additional year? Imagine canceling your cell phone account or cable account but having to pay for another year!! Who does that? Honestly? Who???

I'm not smiling Smilebox. :(

The third thing that makes them "shady" is that they will not reply to requests for support (#236686 and #237484). I sent two e-mails requesting a refund and did not even receive a response to say, "sorry, this is our policy" (not that that would have changed things anyway). The response was an automated response from Zendesk acknowledging that they received the request. So they can receive refund requests, they just can't process refund requests.

And that last point is their policy and they stand behind it no matter what.

The fourth thing that makes them "shady" is what they do not show you on your account profile. There is nothing there except that my account has been cancelled but is still opened until May 14, 2017.

The fifth thing that makes them "Shady" is that when on my profile, I am given an option to click on a link to "change membership or billing." When I click on the link, I get, "YOU ARE NOT AN ACTIVE SUBSCRIBER. CLICK HERE, (underlined with hyperlink) TO ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION." That is the only thing on the page, so I click it and I am directed right back on my main account page and when I click on "Membership" I am right back where I started with the option to "change membership or billing." Endless loop or what i call the gerbil wheel paradox.

So am I crazy? I don't think so because there are many others who have complained about Smilebox and their practices. I cannot tell you if their software is any good. Read other reviews for that. But buyer beware, if you are unhappy and request a refund, they will ignore your request and from what I've read from others, that appears to be their standing policy.

Oh...here are links to sites with complaints against smilebox:

I could go on but the pattern is clear.

Again, this is a review on their customer service and charging practices, not their software as I have no knowledge of the software or how good or bad it works.

Product or Service Mentioned: Smilebox Membership.

I didn't like: Service accesibility dropout after having been charged, Payment with out notification, Smilebox has fraudulent behavior, Charging me for a year when i thought it was only for one month, Service.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jun 04, 2016.

Comments